What is Post Surgical Rehabilitation?
Post surgical rehabilitation may be necessary for a variety of surgical procedures including orthopaedic, cardiac, thoracic, neurological and abdominal surgery. All types of surgery present with a number of post operative consequences which can be helped with physiotherapy.
What are the benefits of Post Surgical Rehabilitation?
Physiotherapy after surgery should begin immediately in hospital, however it is important that once you have been discharged you continue physiotherapy to achieve the best possible recovery. Our physiotherapy team will encourage you to carry out a range of exercises to strengthen and mobilise any affected joints and muscles and this will also help to improve circulatory or respiratory problems that may have developed in hospital.
Other benefits include:
- Effective management of your pain
- Help you return to activities of daily living
- Strengthening of weak muscles
- Stretching of muscles that may have become stiff
- Help get you back to the level you were previously
- Improving your posture
- Regain your independence
- Reduce any anxiety that you may have and regain your confidence
- Mobilisation exercises to improve circulation and range of movement
- Help clear any secretions, improve lung volumes and prevent chest infections
- Advise on effective positioning to increase comfort and reduce the risk of pressure sores